Magic Maketu is a ‘ngow or never’ community project based in Maketu, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand.
Magic Maketu is a sponsor and volunteer. Our motto is ‘now or never’. We support and care about our community, environment and wild lives. We also work with some local and international organizations on a number of community projects.
The project started in 2008 on a small scale. Today our range of projects and services has expanded to include learning, communication, information technology, environmental, community health and animal welfare.
Join our new casual chess club project if you want to learn or play international chess or chinese chess. We believe playing chess can help players of all ages (primary to senior) on brain stimulation and exercise on logic and strategies.
Introducing our brand new cartoon birds series, bro & bro, created by our own Kong’s Cartoon Production Studio. It is based on the adventure and stories of two kiwi bros, Pukeko and Tui. Enjoy reading!
Be happy. May all beings be happy!
- free websites – we sponsor, build and maintain websites for any non-profit making community project or charity group
- community notice board (updated) – place your ads for free
- backyard nursery – native manuka seedlings going to good home.
- adult literacy and numeracy – tutorial on reading, writing, arithmetic, form filling, letter writing, road code, weekly one-on-one tutorial (in association with Literacy Aotearoa, New Zealand)
- spoken Mandarin lessons – take it easy, learn at your own pace
- English language ESOL home tutorial – learn English for speakers of other languages, working with refugees and migrants, weekly one-on-one tutorial (in association with the English Language Partners, New Zealand)
- community learning centre (new) – free resources and online training courses
- web design for beginners – learn how to make a simple website for your business, project or hobby
- communication (new) – using email, chat, video conference, voice call on the internet.
- translation & interpretation – English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Bahasa Malaysia, Indonesian, Hokkien, Teochew, Hakka. We can help you to overcome some language barrier, if there is any
- working bees – tree planting, landscaping, beach clean up
- computer help desk – ask the computer man (in association with Vincent House Recovery Trust, and Rotary Maketu).
Chess club (for all ages)
Play chess can prevent Alzheimer’s disease, stimulate the imagination, dis-entomb the brain function, and promote the intelligence development.
- International chess (new) – play or learn how to play chess
- Chinese chess (new) – play or learn how to play one of the oldest board games in the World.
- Community Learning Centre
- Community Notice Board
- Literacy Aotearoa
- Vincent House Recovery Trust
- English Language Partners New Zealand
- Rotary Maketu
IT’S NGOW OR NEVER!